Sign language and music - bringing music to the deaf

This Vox video introduces how a sign language interpreter uses sign language. Music is a wonderful thing that, I can sit a the concert hall, watching CBSO concert without concerning the problem of language. Since as a foreigner, speaking a language not my mother tongue is quite challenging. Although songs have lyrics, language, other musical factors diminish the language barrier.

However, to deaf people, music is a foreign language to them, an interpreter translate. Beyond music, at the same, foreign language is a foreign language to most of us also need an interpreter. For example, in the TED talk video below, the speaker Christine Sun Kim is a deaf person, an interpreter translates her sign language.
How to break the barrier in between? A musical piece that serves both sides. A song with sign language that both sides understand. Christine's artwork demonstrates music, motion, and time. (9:52)

I choose Any Time at All by the Beatles. The lyrics are about time and emotion. The lyrics are quite repetitive. The emotion is suitable to be expressed with gesture.


Any time at all, any time at all

Any time at all, all you gotta do is call

And I'll be there

If you need somebody to love

Just look into my eyes

I'll be there to make you feel right

If you're feeling sorry and sad

I'd really sympathize

Don't you be sad, just call me tonight

Any time at all, any time at all

Any time at all, all you gotta do is call

And I'll be there

If the sun has faded away

I'll try to make it shine

There is nothing I won't do

When you need a shoulder to cry on

I hope it will be mine

Call me tonight and I'll come to you

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-spectralism influence on tuning

Haba's field shifting - and the expansion of traditional functional harmony

Temperament, Tuning, and Timbre -- the underrated trinity in music